MisFox - Missing Internet Settings For X (V2.0)The application is only useful under MacOSX. Under MacOSX several internet settings which were available under MacOS 8 and 9 are still present and are still used by most internet applications, but they are no longer accessible by the user. So if these settings get corrupt for some reason there's no way to repair these settings anymore. MisFox makes some of the most important internet settings accessible again.
MisFox will show all the file mappings settings and the protocol helpers. You can inspect these settings, but you can also edit, delete and create new items for these settings.
The File Mappings are used for many tasks. First they will translate the "content-type" and file extensions which are used in the Internet into the file type and creator codes which are used on the Mac. Second they do define what to do with files of a certain file type after they are downloaded from the internet (for example they define that ".sit" files should be processed by Stuffit Expander).
Protocol Helpers are used to find the right application to handle certain internet protocols. So a web browser will use the protcol helper settings to find a news reader when clicking on a "news:" link in order to open this link. Since MacOSX 10.2 there's no way to define the default news reader in the system settings anymore. So you can do this in MisFox now.
FreewareMisFox is Freeware and therefore can be used for free.
|MisFox (Mac OS X 10.4.x and newer)
Panel for System Preferences
|2.0c||Freeware||English, Deutsch, Français, Español, Italiano||MisFox2c.zip (135K)|
|MisFox (für Mac OS X)||1.2.1||Freeware||English, Deutsch, Dansk, Castellano||misfox.sit (200K)|
New in V2.0c (Jan/2008)
- Italian Translation added. Many thanks to Dario Leschiutta for the translation.
New in V2.0b (Dec/2007)
- Spanish Translation added. Many thanks to Manuel Montero Barro for the translation.
New in V2.0a (Jul/2007)
- French Translation added. Many thanks to Cyril Gautrias for the translation.
New in V2.0 (Jul/2007)
- Rewritten as Preference Panel for the System Preferences application
- MisFox is now Universal Binary and runs nativly on PowerPC and Intel Macs
New in V1.2.1 (Dec/2003)
- Bugfix: Selecting a new default application with the file dialog didn't work if the application was already listed in the popup menu.
- Bugfix: It was possible to select applications without creator code. But default applications must have a creator code, otherwise they can't be launched by the system.
New in V1.2 (Nov/2003)
- Small adaptions for MacOSX 10.3 "Panther"
- New simple settings panel for configuring the standard internet applications (Browser, Mail, News, FTP)